[CDHC] Meeting Announcement

Cheryl Woodley - NOAA Federal cheryl.woodley at noaa.gov
Mon Nov 3 17:12:38 EST 2014

*Hi CDHC List Members*

*For those of you particularly in the southeast US, I wanted to make sure
you were aware of this meeting and encourage those of you interested in
Coral and other Reef Organism's Health and Disease to submit an abstract to
the session I'm organizing. *

*The EFHW is a great opportunity to meet others interested in health and
disease issues of aquatic organisms. It also provides an excellent
opportunity for students to experience presenting their research at
scientific meeting and talking with scientists in a relaxed collegial
setting.*

*All the best*

*Cheryl*

*40th Annual Eastern Fish Health Workshop*

*Charleston, South Carolina*

*March 2 – March 6, 2015*

Please *Save-The-Date* for next year’s Eastern Fish Health Workshop!

Check us out on our Facebook page (search for Eastern Fish Health Workshop)
and Like us!

https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Eastern-Fish-Health-Workshop/164449723610923

*Important Deadlines:*

*Call for Abstracts:  now open*

*Abstracts Due By:  16 January 2015*

*Registration due by (postmarked): 16 January 2015 (to avoid the late fee)*

*Hotel reservations due by: 31 January 2015*

*Powerpoints due:  16 February 2015*

We are proud to announce the 40th Annual Eastern Fish Health Workshop at
the Mt. Pleasant Holiday Inn in Mt. Pleasant, SC- just over the bridge from
historic Charleston, SC. Registration begins at our annual reception on
Monday, March 2 from 5:00 until 7:00 PM and is followed by an evening of
interesting, bewildering, and bemusing case reports.  There will be three
full-days of sessions (March 3 - 5), followed by a full-day continuing
education course onFriday, March 6. We encourage contributions for oral
presentations of case reports and research investigations that are
pertinent to animal health within marine and freshwater environments.

We will be providing dinner again on Tuesday night to present this year’s
Distinguished Friend of EFHW and there will be an optional South Carolina
Aquarium tour and dinner on Wednesday.  The banquet will be on Thursday night
with plenty of dancing- not to be missed!

*SPECIAL SESSIONS*

1.    At Some Point, I Really Need To Get Around To Publishing This: *Dave
Marancik* chairs our annual opening session of baffling, bewildering, and
bemusing case reports that showcase the ingenuity and smarts of some of our
aquatic gurus as they deal with unusual maladies and pesky pathogens.

2.    The New Kid On The Block- *Esteban Soto* chairs a Step by Step look
at some important aquatic emerging pathogens that are Hangin’ Tough..

3.    The Empire Strikes Back- *Grace Karreman* will return to chair the
second installment of a Biofilms session.

4.    Coral Health: *Cheryl Woodley *will chair this annual session that
always provides up-to-date information on the health of these important
animals.

5.    East and West Side Stories: Death of a Sea Star.  *Marta
Gomez-Chiarri* *and Alisa Newton *will chair this session on the sea star
epizootics occurring on both sides of the country.

6.    *Karen Burnett*- Catching up on Crusty Critters: Highlights of recent
research on health and disease in marine crustaceans.

*Call For General Session Titles and Abstracts:*  To guarantee a place on
the program, please return a tentative title for your presentation via
email *as soon as possible*.  Do this by completing the appropriate
sections of the Word attachment entitled "*40 efhw title form*".  If you
are presenting a diagnostic case, please indicate your tentative title that
you would like your contribution to be included in our special session
entitled: "The Aquatic Detective."

Abstracts must be submitted by* 16 January 2015.  *E-mail abstracts to
*TheEFHW at gmail.com
<TheEFHW at gmail.com>*.  Please follow the directions for preparation of
abstracts and presentations (*see attachment*).  Your attention to these
guidelines is greatly appreciated.  Power Point presentations are due by *15
February 2015*.

*Best Student Paper Presentation:*   The Eastern Fish Health Workshop will
present $200 and a plaque for the Best Student Presentation.  Eligible
individuals must be currently enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate
research program and present his/her own research.  The award will be
presented at our Banquet and the recipient must be present.  You must
register by completing the appropriate section of the "*40 efhw title form*"
attachment.

*Continuing Education Opportunity*

On Friday, March 6, 2015, we will offer *6* hours of RACE-approved
continuing education on *Crustacean Health, Disease, and Treatment*.  For
only $60, you’ll get the 6 hours of CE, breakfast, and lunch.  Please join
us!

*Registration*

A *$275* registration fee (U.S. dollars) includes a reception on
Monday evening,
workshop proceedings, refreshments at breaks, buffet breakfasts and
luncheons on each of the three days of the workshop, dinner on Tuesday night
and the Anniversary Banquet on Thursday night.  Make checks payable to the
"Eastern Fish Health Workshop" and return payment with your registration
form by *16 January 2015.*  A late registration fee of *$295* (U.S.
dollars) is charged after this date.  *The EFHW does not accept credit
cards and there are no daily or discounted registrations*.

*Lodging*

Individual accommodations must be made with the Mt. Pleasant Holiday Inn (
http://www.himtpleasant.com/) at 1-800-972-2513. Please call the hotel and
identify your affiliation with the Eastern Fish Health Workshop in order to
secure the special conference rate of *$134 + tax* per night. In order to
secure your reservations, please call the Holiday Inn before *31 January
2015*. The Holiday Inn is located just over the Arthur Ravenel Bridge, a
short distance to downtown Charleston, and centrally located to most local
tourist destinations.  It is located only about 14 miles from the
Charleston International Airport.  A short taxi ride to the hotel will get
you there in no time!

*Optional Wednesday Night Activity*

*Shane Boylan* and staff at the South Carolina Aquarium have kindly offered
to keep the aquarium open Wednesday night and will offer small group behind
the scenes tours.  We’ll provide dinner at the aquarium as well.  Please
join us for an additional cost of *$**20*. Guests are welcome; just make
sure to indicate the number of people on your registration form.  We will
not be able to accommodate late sign-ups for this event, or refunds.  If
you are interested, please sign up and include the cost with your
registration.

*Optional, On-Your-Own, Pre- or Post- Meeting, things to do:*

If anyone would like some other information on the area, please let us
know.  There are many great things to do, including visits to The Battery,
the H.L. Hunley Submarine, and the Fort Sumter National Monument.  There
are also a number of beaches, plantations, and markets that are well worth
a visit.

*Please let us know if you have any questions, concerns, or comments.*

*Please use the following email address for submission of title forms,
registration, abstracts, and powerpoints:TheEFHW at gmail.com
<TheEFHW at gmail.com>  However, if you have specific concerns feel free to
email us individually.*

Thank you,

Roy, Stacey, Tom, Al, Mark, and Scott

*Roy Yanong, VMD- registration, behind the scenes, and program
organization         *

Professor, Extension Veterinarian

Tropical Aquaculture Laboratory

Program in Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences

School of Forest and Conservation

University of Florida/IFAS

1408 24th St. SE

Ruskin, FL  33570

Work (813) 671-5230 x104

rpy at ufl.edu

*Stacey Gore, DVM- abstracts and program organization            *

(919) 622-1711

stacey.gore at gmail.com

*Tom Loch, PhD – presentations and program organization*

Aquatic Animal Health Laboratory
Department of Pathobiology and Diagnostic Investigation
College of Veterinary Medicine
Michigan State University
480 Wilson Road
Natural Resources Room 4
East Lansing, MI 48824
(517)-353-9323
lochthom at cvm.msu.edu

*Al Dove, PhD – finances and program organization*

Director of Research and Conservation

Georgia Aquarium Research Center

225 Baker Street NW

Atlanta, GA  30313

Work (404) 581-4364

adove at georgiaaquarium.org

*Mark Fast, MSc, PhD – CE and program organization                 *

Novartis Research Chair in Fish Health
Department of Pathology and Microbiology
Atlantic Veterinary College, University of Prince Edward Island
550 University Avenue
Charlottetown, PEI,
C1A 4P3, Canada
Office T: *902-620-5065 <902-620-5065>*
Lab T:*902-620-5041 <902-620-5041>*

M: *902-388-0731 <902-388-0731>*

mfast at upei.ca

*Scott Weber – student judging and program organization*

Sharkdoc01 at gmail.com

--
Cheryl M. Woodley, Ph.D.
Coral Health and Disease Program

DOC/NOAA/NOS/NCCOS
Center for Coastal Environmental Health and Biomolecular Research
Hollings Marine Laboratory
331 Fort Johnson Rd
Charleston, SC 29412
843.762.8862 Phone