C-MAN funding

Coral Health and Monitoring Program coral at coral.AOML.ERL.GOV
Sat Aug 5 18:25:40 EDT 1995

The following message from Dr. John Ogden (jogden at seas.marine.usf.edu) of
the Florida Institute of Oceanography is herewith forwarded to
the coral-list group:

ATTENTION: USERS OF C-MAN DATA IN THE FLORIDA KEYS

     Two weeks ago we met with Doug Scally of the NOAA National Data Buoy
Center (NDBC) to discuss the dismantling in October of the network of
oceanographically enhanced C-MAN stations which we installed and operated
in the Florida Keys from 1989-1995.  While the utility of the system and
the importance of the data have been amply documented by many users and
relevant NOAA agencies, the FIO has not been successful in turning this
interest into funding.

     When we began in 1989, there were two National Weather Service (NWS)
C- MAN stations at Molasses and Sombrero Reefs.  We enhanced these with
oceanographic (temperature, salinity, and light) sensors and added 4 more
enhanced C-MAN stations (Fowey Rocks, Long Key (Florida Bay), Sand Key,
and Dry Tortugas) to form a network encompassing the geographic scale of
the Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary.  We operated these stations
with the cooperation of NDBC for 4 years, generating unique data on
storms, annual temperature cycles, and floods and gaining a great amount
of experience in coastal monitoring.  We also learned a great deal about
the deployment of sensors in biofouling coastal environments and the
application of this infrastructure to ground-truth satellite observations.
Most of the annual budget supported two persons and a computer facility
for on-site data reduction at our Keys Marine Laboratory, and a boat,
trailer and truck for weekly maintenance of the stations.  Our staff also
worked with a variety investigators on related physical and chemical
studies and made data available in demand to many users.

     With the help of NDBC, the NWS has taken over the funding of the
C-MAN portions (not the oceanographic sensors) of the stations at Fowey
and Dry Tortugas.  Thus, we will be left with 4 meteorological stations
(Fowey, Molasses, Sombrero, and Dry Torugas).  However, loss of the
Keys-wide oceanographic observations and our staff at KML will cripple the
baseline data requirements for the major management actions planned in
south Florida and will damage the development of oceanographic
observational capabilities basic to adaptive management.  As our staff was
a key element in system maintenance, their loss will compromise even the
meteorological observations.

     We need a minimum of support to carry us next year.  We will use the
time to continue to seek funding partners and to assess the data users to
define minimum data needs.  With a little time, we feel that we can
"strategically downsize" the system while serving the future needs of
scientists and managers in the region.  An abrupt dismantling of the
system will essentially waste 5 years of cooperative effort and nearly $1
million in private, state, and federal funds.

     You can help by making your voice heard.

John C. Ogden        Director        Phone:  813/893-9100
Florida Institute of Oceanography    Fax:    813/893-9109
830 First Street South               St. Petersburg, Florida 33701