No subject

John McManus J.MCMANUS at cgnet.com
Mon Aug 21 18:43:00 EDT 1995

TO        :    Coral-List
FROM      :    John W. McManus/ICLARM
DATE      :    August 21, 1995

The reports of spawning dates of corals could get very exciting.  We believe
that the synchronicity of spawning varies from highly synchronous in the GBR
to less synchronous in parts of the Philippines and elsewhere.  It is likely
that the degree of synchronicity is dependent on the predictability and
nature of oceanographic features (see Sinclair's book "Marine Populations").
 If enough people watch for and report spawning of corals in different areas
we will be able to home in on causation.  This will ultimately be very
useful for marine reserve design and other attempts to keep reefs healthy.
 Congratulations to alina Szmant and colleagues for starting a good thing.
 We hope others will follow-up.

John W. McManus
ReefBase Project Leader
Coastal and Coral Reef Resource Systems Program
International Center for Living Aquatic Resources Management (ICLARM)
Fax No. (63-2) 816-31-83
Tel. No. (63-2) 818-04-66
E-Mail:  J.McManus at cgnet.com