No subject

John McManus J.MCMANUS at cgnet.com
Mon Aug 21 19:27:00 EDT 1995

TO        :    Coral-List
FROM      :    John W. McManus
DATE      :    August 21, 1995

We are ReefBase are very concerned about the news that portions of the C-MAN
monitoring system may become inoperative. Our worldwide search for data on
coral reefs has confirmed that long term data of the king being obtained by
the C-MAN system is very rare.  It is quite obvious from recent revelations
concerning coral bleaching and other problems that scientific progress on
understanding these phenomena will be very difficult in the absence of
reliable, site specific environmental data and associated benthic studies.
 We urge readers of coral-list to seek ways to keep the C-MAN system going.

Sincerely,

John W. McManus
ReefBase Project Leader
Coastal and Coral Reef Resource Systems Program
International Center for Living Aquatic Resources Management (ICLARM)