Contacts for encouraging C-MAN funding

Coral Health and Monitoring Program coral at coral.AOML.ERL.GOV
Sat Aug 12 21:37:00 EDT 1995

This message forwarded (and only slightly edited) from Sandy Vargo of the
Florida Institute of Oceanography:

========

    Reviewing our previous e-mail message we noted that is was not clear
what course of action we were suggesting for those interested in
preserving the enhanced C-MAN stations of the SEAKEYS network.

        The most helpful action would be to contact U.S. representatives
and senators and Stan Wilson at NOAA.  John Ogden has contacted Dr. Wilson
directly and we have also informed the following congressional folks:

Senator Bob Graham
524 Hart Senate Office Building
Washington, DC  20510
202/224-3041

Senator Connie Mack
517 Hart Senate Office Building
Washington, DC 20510
202/224-5274  Fax. 224-8022

Rep. Peter Deutsch
425 Cannon House Office Building
Washington, DC 20515
202/225-7931

Rep. Lincoln Diaz-Balart
509 Cannon House Office Building
Washington, DC  20515
202/225-4211  Fax. 225-8576

Rep. Porter Goss
330 Cannon House Office Building
Washington, DC  20515
202/225-2536  Fax. 225-6820

Rep. Carrie Meek
404 Cannon House Office Building
Washington, DC 20515
202/225-4506  Fax. 236-0777

Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen
127 Cannon House Office Building
Washington, DC  20515
202/225-3933  Fax. 225-5620

Dr. Stanley Wilson
Assistant Administrator
NOAA National Ocean Service
1305 East-West Highway
Route Code N
Silver Spring, MD  20910
301/713-3074  Fax. 713-4269

Rep. C.W. Bill Young
2407 Rayburn House Office Building
Washington, DC  20515
202/225-5961

We have requested $60,000 from NOAA to tide the system over for a few
months with minimal operations until additional funding can be identified.
The annual operating costs are about $250,000 including $51,000 to the
National Data Buoy Center for maintenance and operation of the C-MAN
portion of two of the six stations in the network.  The NDBC maintains the
meteorological but not the oceanographic sensors on the stations.  The
oceanographic sensors are maintained entirely by the two persons employed
by the SEAKEYS program.  We would appreciate it if those with an interest
in continuance of the data flow from the SEAKEYS network would emphasize
these points in their letters.  If you see a need for further information
or anything is unclear just drop me a line.

Sandy Vargo
svargo at marine.usf.edu