Coral/Climate Page & Workshop

Coral Health and Monitoring Program coral at coral.AOML.ERL.GOV
Sun Aug 13 01:02:27 EDT 1995

Date: Thu, 24 Aug 1995 18:56:28 +0800 (U)
From: Bob Buddemeier <bob_buddemeier at msmail.kgs.ukans.edu>
Subject: Coral/Climate  Page & Workshop
To: delia at cbl.umd.edu, J.McManus at cgnet.com, MARKHAM+r%WWFUS at MCIMAIL.COM,
        fautin at KUHUB.CC.UKANS.EDU, fredm at soest.hawaii.edu,
        fred at utig.ig.utexas.edu, pol at univ-perp.fr, admin at msi.upd.edu.ph,
        rgrigg at soest.hawaii.edu, tguild at lamont.ldeo.columbia.edu,
        dhinckley at igc.apc.org, gregor at hk.super.net, j7kumar at cc.um.my,
        Jamie_Oliver at ccmail.gbrmpa.gov.au, JayNoller at aol.com,
        jeff at kgs.ukans.edu, jgoldman at whoi.edu, JLEWIS at mvax31.ntou.edu.tw,
        kleypas at sage.cgd.ucar.EDU, jogden at marine.usf.edu, pernetta at nioz.nl,
        coleje at spot.colorado.edu, june at geosun1.sjsu.edu, jware1 at csc.com,
        j_lough at AIMS.GOV.AU, J_VERON at AIMS.GOV.AU,
        kayanne at geogr.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp, knappertsbus at ubaclu.unibas.ch,
        kris at falcon.cc.ukans.edu, jlang at curly.cc.utexas.edu,
        mpl at christa.UNH.edu, mpotts at bbsr.edu, eakin at ogp.noaa.gov,
        marlin at soest.hawaii.edu, mcclla at wwc.edu, mmaccrac at usgcrp.gov,
        Milliman at VIMS.edu, fmurphy at nature.berkeley.edu,
        STRI01.NAOS.knowlton at ic.si.edu, gkofish at okway.okstate.edu,
        jpearse at cats.ucsc.edu, cperry at qvarsa.er.usgs.gov,
        pilson at gsosun1.gso.uri.edu, potts at biology.ucsc.edu,
        quinn at chuma.cas.usf.edu, weissr at washpost.com, rwollast at ulb.ac.be,
        pol at univ-perp.fr, sandy_tudhope at edinburgh.ac.uk, prtaylor at nsf.gov,
        terry.hughes at jcu.edu.au, 71672.3413 at compuserve.com, swells at ucb.edu.bz,
        seysuzu at sci.shizuoka.ac.jp, yair at bio2.com, paleo2 at msmail.kgs.ukans.edu,
        paleo3 at msmail.kgs.ukans.edu

The Scientific Committee on Oceanic Research (SCOR) Working Group 104 has
been formed to address the topic:  CORAL REEF RESPONSES TO GLOBAL CHANGE: THE
ROLE OF ADAPTATION

Members of the working group are:  R. W. Buddemeier (Chair), R. Bak, R.
Gates, J.-P. Gattuso, T. Done, B. Hatcher, J. Pandolfi, and A. B. Pittock.
Corresponding members are: S. V. Smith, C. B. Castro, R. Rowan, B. Opdyke, J.
Patzold, and D. Yellowlees.

The overall objective WG-104 may be summarized as the multidisciplinary
identification, review and integration of scientific knowledge -- both
existing and needed -- relevant to the assessment and prediction of responses
of corals and coral reef communities to various kinds of environmental
change, including climatic change.  This ambitious goal cannot be achieved
without the collaboration of the larger scientific community.  Two mechanisms
to developed this collaboration have been established:

1. There is a WG-104 WWW Home Page at:
http://ghsun1.kgs.ukans.edu/welcome.html
     This is intended to stimulate communication among WG-104 members and
interested colleagues, and to focus attention on relevant issues.  It is
still under development and will be updated and expanded as material becomes
available.  Relevant contributions are solicited, but users are asked to
recognize that this is a volunteer operation, and prompt or extensive

2.  There will be an Open Workshop on WG-104 topics, progress, and objectives
at the ICRS8 Symposium in Panama, June 1996.  The preliminary workshop
proposal is contained on the Home Page.  Our intention is to use brief status
reports by working group members or others as a basis for structuring
discussion groups and contributions from the scientific community.
      Formal registration, attendance commitment, or presentations are not
required -- or even permitted -- for the workshop; however, for planning
purposes we need some estimates of probable attendance, and if anyone is
interested in  discussing or presenting specific material we would like
advance notice. Please contact me at the address below if you are interested
in participating.

Please pass this information on to interested colleagues not addressed on
this list.

Thank you

Robert W. Buddemeier, Kansas Geological Survey, University of Kansas, 1930
Constant Avenue, Lawrence, KS 66047 USA.  ph (913) 864-3965, fax -5317,
e-mail Bob_Buddemeier at msmail.kgs.ukans.edu