nitrates on corals (fwd)

Coral Health and Monitoring Program coral at coral.AOML.ERL.GOV
Thu Nov 9 14:34:37 EST 1995

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: 21 Nov 95 11:32:35 EST
From: Anthony J. Hooten <76260.2413 at compuserve.com>
To: Coral Health and Monitoring Program <coral at coral>
Subject: nitrates on corals

Tom:

My name is Andy Hooten.  I work as an independent consultant in the
Washington D.C. area.  Coral reefs were my academic background, and
even though there are not very many here in Washington, I have
recently been doing work at the World Bank re: some conservation work
with reefs.  I have not seen the film, but am aware of the research.
You can get more information about the work by contacting Graeme
Kelleher, former director of the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park
Authority.  He will probably forward contact information to you of
the researchers conducting the study.  An address to forward a
request to him is:

		c/o The Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority
		Braddon  ACT 2601
		Australia  FAX: 41-22-999-0025

You can also possibly get a message to him through a colleague of
his, Chris Bleakley at the GBRMPA at C.Bleakley at gbrmpa.gov.au.

You should also be aware of other recent research by Peter Spencer
Davies who seems to have found that NITRITE does cause rapid growth
groundwater upwellings throughout the Caribbean (see D'Elia et al.
1981. Bull. Mar. Sci. 31 (4): 903-910.) He and Francesca Marubini
conducted research in Barbados and recently reported the findings in
an abstract at the Society for Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry
in Vancouver, B.C.  Week before last.  Apparently, zooxanthellae
production went up, and coral growth rates went down.

AJH;
Phone/fax: 301-942-8839 /