questions reef fish and invertebrates

Herman Cesar 85759 HCESAR at worldbank.org
Wed Nov 29 17:45:27 EST 1995

All coral list subscribers,

Thanks very much for the many reactions. I have some more questions:

First, I am trying to contact Mark Erdmann who has done some very interesting
work on coral reef ecology. Does anyone know his e-mail or other address?

Secondly, I am looking at some issues related to the poison fish trade. My
questions are (please allow my ignorance as an economist):

If fishermen go to a prestine untouched and unfished area, what would be the
average biomass of groupers (especially Epinephelus spp., Plectropomus spp. and
Cephalopholis spp.) and of Napoleon wrasses (Cheilinus Undulatus) per square
kilometer of reef?

What would be the average sustainable yield of these groupers and N.wrasses?

When do they obtain sexual maturity? (At which bodyweight is that? Are groupers
of 800 grams sexually mature?

Thirdly, I am trying to guess the total area of coral reefs in Indonesia (e.g.
at 20 phantom (37 m; 110 ft.). For the Philippines are have data ranging from 25
to 33 thousand km2. I have an estimate for the whole of East Asia of around
180,000 km2. Would 100,000 km2 for Indonesia be a good guess?

Fourthy, does anyone know something of sustainable yield of invertebrates? I
would like to know sustainable yield per km2 of sea-cucumbers, trochus, giant
clams, lobsters, etc.

By the way, if people are interested in receiving a copy of the report on the
economics of coral reef destruction in Indonesia when it is ready and has become
official (early next year hopefully; working paper), please let me know.

Thanks in advance,

Herman Cesar