Coral bleaching in Belize

Charles Evans Birkeland birkelan at uog9.uog.edu
Fri Oct 20 01:03:48 EDT 1995

Dear Jerry:

You mentioned that the coral bleaching you observed was the first seen
or first reported from Belize.  On the other side of the world, Bob
Richmond and I were surveying corals at 19 sites in Palau.  We found some
bleaching at nearly all 19 sites.  A large number of species were
involved.  The percentage was not great, nothing to get alarmed about,
perhaps on the order of 5%.  Nevertheless, I have been going to Palau
since 1976 and I never saw such frequent or ubiquitous bleaching.  The
low percent of the coral bleaching in Palau is not exciting, and
bleaching has probaby always been happening, but it is curious that
Belize and Palau are on opposite sides of the world and both seem to be
showing more than usual.

Sincerely,

Chuck