Pink Porites

acohen at cliff.whoi.edu acohen at cliff.whoi.edu
Fri Apr 5 13:19:32 EST 1996

          Dear All
          I am making various geochemical measurements on Porites
          colonies from Johnston Atoll, NC Pacific. On sectioning
          several colonies from one of my lagoonal sites, I noticed a
          bright pink line, the contours of which follow the growth
          bands. In all colonies, it is situated about 1.5 cm from the
          surface, below the green endolithic algae. I have never seen
          this before and it seems restricted to one particular
          site on Johnston Atoll.  Neither samples from the reef edge
          nor any other lagoonal localities nor any other genera I've
          sectioned show this. Could it be a red algae ? Does anybody
          have any suggestions ?
          much appreciated Anne
          (acohen at whoi.edu)