Pink Porites

Donald Potts potts at biology.ucsc.edu
Fri Apr 5 19:43:58 EST 1996

I've seen similar pink bands from time to time in massive Porites from
Australia and Papua New Guinea. Again, only in some corals. While I have
assumed they represent endolithic algae or micro-organisms, I've never
looked closely at the cause. Not all Porites in one area have these pink
bands ; and I suspect they may reflect host-specificity of the
microorganisms among Porites species, as well as habitat-specificity

Don Potts
*    Donald C. Potts                                                        *
*         Professor of Biology                                              *
*         Director, UCSC Education Abroad Program                           *
*  A316 Earth and Marine Sciences Building                                  *
*  University of California                  Phone: (408) 459-4417          *
*  Santa Cruz                                Fax:   (408) 459-4882          *
*  California  95064   U.S.A.                Email: potts at biology.ucsc.edu  *