Need Help Finding Data

Greg Kaletzke umkaletz at umanitoba.ca
Thu Feb 8 22:16:14 EST 1996

Hi.

I am a graduate student in geography at the University of Manitoba in
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada.

I have a great interest in the preservation of coral ecosystems, and am
currently working on a project involving the identification of endangered
reefs. The model I propose will deal with the detection of terrestrial
pollution such as effluent and/or toxic discharge. Belsher, et al   (1992)
have suggested the use of the satellite monitoring of Benthic algae as an
indicator of possible or existing pollution.  In their study Belsher, et al
make use of SPOT satellite images taken of the lagoon of Moorea island in
French Polynesia. Computer assisted interpretation of these images allowed
for the creation of a map of the Benthic organisms in this area.

I would like my model to demonstrate that an introduction of pollution or
an increase in pollution to coral intolerant levels will cause the death of
coral populations and a notable increase in levels of Benthic Algae.

One of my problems is a lack of data. Winnipeg, if you don't already know,
is a city that is nearly in the center of the continent - making data on
coral reefs slightly difficult to come by.

I am hoping that you would be able to provide me with some data, or
suggestions as to where I might find some. I would also appreciate any and
all suggestions you may have regarding the topic.

I would be more than happy to provide you with a copy of my work if you
were able to help me or were interested.

Thank you in advance.

Yours truly,

Greg Kaletzke

Belsher, T. with                       (1992)Contribution  of SPOT
satellite data  to the knowledge of
M.L. Meinesz, C. Payri,            coral reef ecosystems. The marine
vegetation of Moorea Island (French
H. Ben-Moussa                          Polynesia).  Remote Sensing and
Insular Environments in the Pacific:
                                                Integrated Approaches. Pix'
Iles 90. pp. 537-546.

"When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign,
that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."
                                        - Jonathan Swift