transplanting Acropora cyth

Jack, Sobel SOBELJ at dccmc.mhs.compuserve.com
Wed Feb 21 15:29:49 EST 1996

Why don't we spend more time and effort protecting our natural heritage
rather than trying to replicate someone else's to displace ours?

Coral reefs, Acropora coral reefs included, are parts of beautiful and
valuable natural ecosystems, and we should do all we can to protect these
threatened treasures; but that doen't mean we should be exporting them
into other natural environments that also have value.

Why don't we learn from our past mistakes?  History provides enough
experience with both deliberate and accidental introductions to be very
wary of such actions, which often have unintentional adverse impacts.
Think about the deliberate introduction of carp or the accidental
introduction of the zebra mussel to North America.  There are a multitude
of such examples.  Hawaii, in particular, with its sensitive, highly
endemic flora and fauna; provides a font of such examples.

Let's protect our extraordinary and threatened natural coral reefs,
including those with Acropora, but let's not manufacture a need to
introduce them to areas where they don't belong.  Let's not mess
unnecessarily with Mother Nature.