Stephen C. Jameson sjameson at coralseas.com
Mon Feb 26 09:28:07 EST 1996

Dear Edwina,

In my mind ecotourism is not a tool.  The tools related to ecotourism
that help manage our coral reef ecosystems include:

1. Integrated coastal zone management:  This includes: public education,
community development, economic incentives and alternative income
generation, global or regional legal instruments, institutional
restructuring, wellmanaged marine protected areas, regulation and
enforcement of reef resource exploitation, management of tourism and
recreational activities, management of land-based activities and coastal
development, coral reef ecosystem monitoring, mapping, database creation,
and restoration.

2.  Capacity building

3.  Improved Scientific Understanding of Coral Reef Ecosystems

Ask Peter Thomas, Coordinator, International Coral Reef Initiative
(pthomas at state.gov) for a copy of:

Jameson, S.C., J.W. McManus, and M.D. Spalding 1995.  State of the Reefs:
 Regional and Global Perspectives.  International Coral Reef Initiative
Executive Secretariat Background Paper.  U.S. Department of State.

There is also some useful information on the Philippines in this paper.

Also see the latest edition (Spring 1996) of the Natural Resources
Defense Council Amicus Journal.  On page 31 there is an article titled
"Where is ecotourism going?  If ecotravel is booming, asks a
photojournalist, how sustainable is it?"

Best regards,

Dr. Stephen C. Jameson, President
Coral Seas, Inc.
4254 Hungry Run Road