coral "health" criteria

mcrosby at coasts.nos.noaa.gov mcrosby at coasts.nos.noaa.gov
Thu Jan 18 12:37:39 EST 1996

As part of my interest to formulate draft criteria for success in
improving the overall "health" or condition of the Florida Keys coral
reef ecosystem (including all associated habitats such as coral reefs,
mangroves, seagrasses, associated bays and inlets, etc.), I would greatly
appreciate input and ideas from those of you with expertise in this broad
ecosystem.  I am not looking for verbose treatise on the subject of what
is "healthy" versus "non-healthy".  What I am looking for is what
specific variables (i.e., biomass, diversity, presence/absence,
physico-chemical, indicator species) you would feel should increase or
decrease, and in what magnitude, in order to say the system is improving
in overall condition.  Note that I am looking for criteria to measure
significant improvement, not total restoration (that is another kettle of
fish altogether!)

Some variable that have been suggested to date (although in many cases
still requiring some degree of being quantitative) are:
- Nutrients and suspended sediments reduced (by how much? or to what
level?)
- Macro algae bloom and coverage decrease (by how much? or to what
level?)
- Increase sea urchin population (by how much? or to what level?)
- Tortugus shrimp harvests restored to recent historic levels to support
a MSY of 10 million pounds annually
- Increase in population of common snook (by how much? or to what level?)
- Increase in recruitment of Gray Snapper (by how much? or to what
level?)
- Restoration of larval and juvenile spiny lobster habitat (loggerhead
sponges) to their historic range (what is that range?)
- Increase in sighting of jewfish (by how much? or to what level?)
- Increase in sighting of sea turtles (which species? by how much? or to
what level?)
- An increase in coral cover by 15-20% (is this realistic? to low? to
high? key species?)
- Restore coverage and species composition of seagrasses to mid-1980s
level
- Increase in wading bird, osprey and brown pelican populations (by how
much? or to what level?)

Any input or comments that address the above "by how much? or to what
level?" questions, and/or additional variable to employ as criteria for
success would be most appreciated.

I am not sure if it is best to send your input directly to me at my
Internet address, or to respond via this coral list server.  The former
may help to limit loading the server with what some may consider not to
be of interest, however the latter approach may serve to stimulate some
useful discussions.  I would appreciate input ASAP.

Many Thanks and Cheers,
Michael
Dr. Michael P. Crosby
National Research Coordinator