Students work to save the Aquarius

Mellie Lewis mlewis at umd5.umd.edu
Sun Jan 21 18:08:36 EST 1996

Dear Coral Reef Members,
	My students are embarking on a campaign to save funding for
the Aquarius.  As part of this year's JASON VII Project, millions of
students across the county have the opportunity to accompany Dr. Jerry
Wellington, via telepresence, as he studies the natural cycle of climate
change over several hundred years.  If funding to the Aquarius project is cut,
this part of the JASON project, and countless other projects dependent
upon the Aquarius, may be eliminated.
	Our plan is to encourage JASON Students, and their parents, to
write to their congressional delegation in Washington requesting Congress
not to cut funding for the Aquarius Project.  We are planning on posting
information about the Aquarius on both the JASON Student and JASON
Teacher Bulletin Boards.  We need your help!  We need the facts.  We
would like to generate a list of how the research projects using the
Aquarius will benefit mankind.  Any information you could e-mail us would
be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Mellie Lewis
G.T. Resource Teacher