Coral Reef Research and Conservation (From Jean-Sébastien Houziaux (aquarium))

collette caroline s911023 at segi.ulg.ac.be
Wed Jun 5 13:18:54 EDT 1996

Subject: Coral Reef Research.

To who it may concern,

I found the announce for the International Year of the Reef in the UICN's
"Shark News", which a French researcher sent me since I am particularly
interested in shark ecology and conservation. I made graduate studies in
Zoology and post-graduate (Master, 2 years) in Oceanology at University of
Li=E8ge (Belgium).
I started a major work on a small European species, the Lesser Spotted
Dogfish Scyliorhinus canicula, which has become the most important Selachian
in the French Fisheries since the recent decay of the Spiny dogfish, Squalus
Acanthias. I wanted to continue my first work on the annual cycle of
reproduction of this species by a behavioural approach, with a further look
on the fishery problem with the framework of 'IFREMER' (France).
Unfortunately, I was the only Belgian researcher to start a work in the
field of Selachians, and I therefore couldn't get any funding for this Ph.D.
project. Our laboratory had to give it up.
I am searching for a new project, and this is very hard in Belgium in the
field of Marine Ecology. I want to leave Belgium and search in a foreign
country. Therefore, I have applied to the 'BAEF' (Belgian American
Educational Foundation) in order to get a grant for starting a Ph.D. in the
USA. My candidature is accepted on the basis of my academic results. I am
now seeking for a project to submit within an American institution. I
currently have no idea on how to get other funding for such research in
another country.
I would like to know if there may be a chance for starting a PhD project
dealing with the ecology and conservation of coral reefs, since such a work
is actually of a prime interest to me. I am specialized in Fish Ecology and
Behaviour, with personal interest to sharks and rays, but my studies gave me
a broad approach of general Marine Ecology. I don't know whether it might be
useful to do so on this server, but I attach to this message a copy of my
C.V., hoping somebody to be interested in it.

I thank you for your time and look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely.

Jean-S=E9bastien Houziaux (University of Liege: Graduate in Zoology, Master=
 in
Oceanology).

N.B. This E-mail was sent from another location than the address given in
the C.V. (aquarium at vm1.ulg.ac.be). Both can be used.