Coral reef organisms & the aquarium trade

JENNIFER WHEELER wheeler at zool.umd.edu
Mon Mar 4 21:05:45 EST 1996

I am undertaking research on the trade of coral reef organisms for
aquariums as part of project to assist a Pacific island nation
develop sustainable uses for its reefs.  The market for marine
aquarium species is booming globally, and I am interested in
determining if this market can be used to further the conservation of
coral reefs rather than contribute to their demise.

Questions:
What information is available on the market (supply and demand) for
coral reef organisms to be used in aquariums?  (International data
important.)

Is sustainable harvest of reef organisms possible?  Have levels been
determined?
How feasible Is mariculture to produce organisms for export?
What are the implications (biological and financial) of the above
approaches as compared to unregulated harvest?

Any leads or information to assist me in my research would be
appreciated.  Thank you.

Jennifer Wheeler
Sustainable Development and Conservation Biology program
University of Maryland, College Park, Maryland
wheeler at zool.umd.edu