Coral Bleaching in PNG region

C_WILKINSON at aims.gov.au C_WILKINSON at aims.gov.au
Sun Mar 10 00:16:06 EST 1996

The following was sent to me by John Rewald, Motupore Research
Station in PNG dated 07-MAR-96.
A sig. area from S of Normanby Island through Cape Vogel, and to
Tufi is suffering from coral bleaching over the past 3 weeks,
extending down to 20 m. Bleaching in shallow water is most
extensive - almost 100% in some areas, including soft corals and
anemones. Water temps have been 29 to 30 deg. C during DEC for
past 2 months. This is the longest recalled period of warm water
in Milne Bay province - weather also calm and skies relatively
clear. Reefs N of Normanby/Fergusson Ids are not affected to any
degree though signs are there. Corals appear live at the moment
with patches of dead coral and beginning of algal growth. I will
be monitoring bleaching over next 5 weeks.
These are observations from Bob Halstead, operator of dive boat
Telita and he requests advice from scientists as to what he
should observe. Please contact Rewald on jrewald at peg.apc.org
(note: no dates and precise locations provided and Rewald is
currently travelling to Australia - good luck)
Clive Wilkinson