Fishing effects on coral

Jack, Sobel SOBELJ at dccmc.mhs.compuserve.com
Wed Mar 13 12:44:08 EST 1996

On March 8, William Moreno Caycedo requested information on the effects
of fishing or overfishing on corals (see below).  Although this important
impact has been overlooked and underestimated by many, some particularly
good work on this has been published by McClanahan etal on Kenyan coral
reefs.  Their work was made possible by the existance of "marine no-take
reserves", areas closed to fishing, that enabled comparisons between
fished and unfished areas.  Their work suggests that, at least in Kenya,
the impacts of overfishing/fishing on corals may be more important and
severe than even widely recognized problems, such as those associated
with eutrophication and sedimentation.

Jack Sobel, Ecosystem Scientist
Center for Marine Conservation
sobelj at dccmc.mhs.compuserve.com