New review posted on the Reef Resource Page

Paul Blanchon P.Blanchon at UAlberta.CA
Mon May 20 21:27:42 EDT 1996

Dear list members,

I have recently posted a review of the history of reef geology on the Reef
Resource Page (http://www.ualberta.ca/~pblancho/index.html). This is the
first of many such 'review modules' that I hope to post over the next year
or so. They are essentially draft documents that will provide the basis for
an up-to-date and integrated review of the biology, ecology, and geology of
modern reef systems. If these reviews are to serve any useful purpose,
however, they will require the input of as many reef scientists as
possible. So it is my hope that, by using the Web and all its multimedia
capabilities, I can solicit your candid feedback, reviews and cooperation.
All input will be aknowledged and all reviews will be posted (unless
otherwise requested).

The first 'review module' addresses the historical development of
geological reef science -- an important topic where scientific consensus is
attainable. It outlines the _major_ reef theories from Darwin to the
present, providing succinct critiques of each. I would particularly like
feedback on the conclusion that our ideas on reef configuration and
architecture have essentially come full circle back to where they started
i.e., reefs are fully capable of producing their own morphology with little
help from foundations.

Also, I would be very interested in hearing from those of you keen to
review or with ideas on the history of biological and ecological reef
science. Like the geological review, the objective is to outline the major
theories, paradigms etc, provide succinct critiques of each, and end with a
brief summary of where we are and perhaps were we should go.

I sincerely hope that, by pooling our collective knowledge in these
reviews, we can establish a framework that will enable us to address the
interdisciplinary problems that reefs presently face.
The rationale for such an approach is simple: lack of communication and
cooperation among scientists who seek to understand the same natural
phenomena can only lead to confusion, duplication, misinformation, and
ultimately mismanagement.

Paul Blanchon.

        Dr. Paul Blanchon || Research Fellow
        Dept. Earth & Atmospheric Sciences,
        1-26 Earth Science Building,
        University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada.
        Tel: (403) 492-4205 Fax: (403) 492-2030
        E-mail: p.blanchon at ualberta.ca
        Web: http://www.ualberta.ca/~pblancho/index.html