cfp: RECOVERIES '97

Coral Health and Monitoring Program coral at aoml.noaa.gov
Wed Nov 20 09:32:07 EST 1996

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 1996 09:36:55 +0100
From: Petr Cejchan <recovery at gli.cas.cz>
To: hendee at aoml.noaa.gov
Subject: cfp: RECOVERIES '97

Please forward this message to your
colleagues or other persons of interest!

FIRST ANNOUNCEMENT - CALL FOR
PARTICIPATION - CALL FOR PAPERS

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
RECOVERIES '97
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

The final meeting of the UNESCO IGCP Project
335
"Biotic Recoveries from Mass Exctinctions"

September 12-14, 1997
Prague, Czech Republic

_______________________________________
_________

PLEASE, POINT YOUR WWW BROWSER
TO:
http://www.gli.cas.cz/conf/recovery/recovery.ht
_______________________________________
_________

About the project

In the history of the Earth (including the
recent), numerous events of ecosystem
collapses occurred that were followed by
recoveries and origination of new ecosystems.
This significant transformation could be realised
in numerous ways. The project aims to be a
platform for the study of survival and recovery of
the biosphere, and restructuring of global
environments, following mass extinctions.

The project outlines are:
   (1) to study patterns of extinction/survivorship
of organisms during the mass extinction
events;
   (2) to analyse the evolutionary and ecological
strategies that allowed clades and
communities to survive and initiate subsequent
biotic recoveries;
   (3) to study the structure of the deep-crisis
ecosystem;
   (4) to elucidate the recovery initiation
mechanisms;
   (5) to find the time, space and functional
patterns of the recovery;
   (6) to refine the data and tools for this
discipline;
   (7) to develop general models by means of
comparison of individual global crises in Earth's
history;
   (8) to apply these (predictive) models to
better understanding the modern environmental
and biodiversity crises.

This international project is headed by Douglas
H. Erwin, Smithsonian Institution, Washington,
D.C., and Erle G. Kauffman, University of
Colorado, Boulder. Over sixty countries are
involved in the project.

Audience

The meeting should bring together
palaeobiologists, palaeontologists, biologists,
ecologists, systems theorists, and other
persons that are interested in the topic.

Organisers

The conference is held under the auspices of
the Geological Institute, Academy of Sciences,
and is organised by:

Petr Cejchan & Jindrich Hladil
Geological Institute, Academy of Sciences
Rozvojova 135
CZ 165 02 Praha 6 Lysolaje
Czech Republic

Venue

The conference will be held at the new IKEM
Conference Building, Videnska 800, Prague 4,
Czech Republic, two bus-stops away from the
Metro line C station "Kacerov", ca. 20 minutes
off the city centre.

Programme

September 10            registration of pre-
excursionists (afternoon)
September 11            pre-session excursion to
the Cretaceous of Bohemia; registration
(afternoon)
September 12            sessions
September 13            sessions; banquet in the
evening
September 14            sessions
September 15 -16        post-session excursion
to the Palaeozoic of the Barrandian

Accommodation (US$ per person & night)

To reserve the hotel room, you will be asked to
pay for accommodation before July 31, 1997.

high-level ****
A - single  185
B - double  111

medium ***
C - single              70
D - double              50
E - apartment double    57
F - apartment triple    44

cheap **
G - single (in 2x single apartment )    27
H- double (in 2x double apartment )     20
I - apartment double                    27

Deadlines

pre-registration (WWW or printed form)
January 31, 1997
abstracts                                 May 31, 1997

following items are valid only when paid before
the specified date:

early registration and excursions         May 31,
1997
late registration and excursions
September 12, 1997
hotel reservation & payment               July 31,
1997

Payments (US$)

early registration (before May 31, 1997)   late
registration (after May 31, 1997)
registration fee              250              300
registration student fee      175              210
pre-session excursion          50               60
post-session excursion        100              120
accompanying persons          150              180

Contacts

Please, direct all your correspondence related
to the conference to the Conference Manager:

Petra Hovorkova, Recoveries '97
Eurocongress Centre
Budejovicka 15
CZ 140 00 Praha 4
fax +42-2-61211247

For conference update and details on the
programme please consult:

http://www.gli.cas.cz/conf/recovery/recovery.ht
e-mail: recovery at gli.cas.cz

Equipment

The conference hall will be professionally
equipped, including:
two projection screens
two 35 mm slide projectors
one overhead projector
computer presentation projection (Windows 95
+ MS Power Point)
video projection (VHS only)
microphones.

The poster presentation room will be equipped
with poster panels and will be available during
all the session days.

Abstracts

Abstracts should be submitted before May 31,
1997, preferably as plain text on a DOS-
formatted diskette. The abstract book will be
included with the conference materials.
Persons interested in obtaining the abstracts in
advance can order the DOS-formatted diskette
with abstracts for US$ 25 (after July 1, 1997).

Contributions

The conference will result in a refereed
proceedings book (not included with the
conference materials). Authors should submit
their contributions to the conference
proceedings book by September 12, 1997, i.e.,
by the beginning of the sessions. Authors are
asked to provide the text on a DOS-diskette,
together with a paper proof.

Student support

3% of the conference budget will be used to
support a limited number of student
participants at lower fee. Students
(undergraduate & graduate) must supply a
certificate of their student status together with
the pre-registration form. Pre-register soon to
take the advantage of student support. Banquet
is not included in student fee, however, other
aspects do not differ from ordinary participants'
ones.

Pre-registration

Please, use the pre-registration form included
here, or  the electronic pre-registration feature
at

http://www.gli.cas.cz/conf/recovery/preform.htm

to let us know about your interest and your
preferences. You will be included with our
mailing list. Your pre-registration will help us to
estimate the real needs of the conference, as
well as keep you informed.

Second announcement

The responders to the first announcement will
obtain the second announcement (registration
form, hotel reservation form & call for papers)
during February, 1997.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
PRE-REGISTRATION FORM
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Please complete and return to:

Petra Hovorkova
Recoveries '97
Eurocongress Centre
Budejovicka 15
CZ 140 00 Praha 4
fax +42-2-61211247

Forename:                Initial(s):
Surname:
Title:                   Sex [M/F]:
Affiliation:
Address[street]:                                     City:
Post/Zip code:           Country:
State/Province:
Phone:                   Fax:                        E-
mail:
Please tick:

I shall attend
   possibly
   probably
   almost certainly,

and I intend to be accompanied by
   one
   two
   three
   more accompanying persons [x $150]

I want to apply for a student fee [$175] and I
am enclosing a copy of my student status
certificate (required)   yes  -  no

I intend to give a lecture   yes  -  no

I want to present a poster   yes  -  no

I intend to submit an abstract entitled:

I intend to join the one-day pre-session field trip
[$50]   yes  -  no

I intend to join the two-days post-session field
trip [$100]   yes  -  no

I would like to have dinners at the Conference
Restaurant [booking only]   yes  -  no

I would like this type of accommodation (see
above):
A   B   C   D   E   F   G   H   I

Other requirements (please specify):

I agree with putting my name onto a publicly
accessible electronic list of participants on the
Web   yes  -  no