Slides hardware

Tony Rath trath at btl.net
Wed Nov 27 16:08:21 EST 1996

>I would like to know whether any of you can suggest the proper equipment
>to get slides from computer images and the other way would to get
>computer images from slides.

Gabriel,

Getting slides from computer images can take a high tech expensive route or
a low tech route.  I'll tell you the low tech route:

Use a 35mm camera to shoot the computer screen.  The trick is to make your
exposure at least a 15th of a sec or longer so that the picture will not
pick up the computer screen in mid draw.  If you shoot faster than a 15th,
you will get a break in the image.  You might also want to shoot with an
f-stop of 5.6 or greater so that your image is sharp.  Because of the long
exposure times, you should have a steady tripod, and if you are on a wood
floor, don't let others walk nearby while taking the image, the vibrations
will cause the image to be soft.

Getting computer images from slides is a bit easier.  If you have a flatbed
scanner, you have to have a transparency adaptor to scan in the image. You
are usually restricted to the lower resolutions this way.  there are
scanners built specifically for scanning 35mm film which do a good job
also.  This route will cost you about $2000US.

The alternative is to have the images scanned onto a CD-ROM by a company
that has a drum scanner and specializes in this service.  I'd recommend
this route as it is cheap, produces high resolution scans, and the images
are very easy to work with.  The images are also archived if you take care
of the CD.  Of course it is problematic if you don't have a CD-ROM reader,
but they are quite cheap these days.  I can supply you or others on the
list with some addresses of photo labs that scan to CD-ROM if you like.

Good Luck.

Tony Rath
Creative Director
Visit Belize by Naturalight at:  http://www.belizenet.com/   for your
complete source of information about coral reefs, rainforest, Mayan ruins,
ecotourism, weather, weekly newspaper, and so much  more.  Not just another
website... but a work of art.