An expensive meal

Nicolas James Pilcher nick at tualang.unimas.my
Fri Nov 29 05:05:06 EST 1996

Dear all. In response to Gregor's message, I offer my amateur insights for
mastication.  No offence is aimed at anybody. Only realism.

Yes, you could get an awareness campaign going, but you have to put yourself
in the Asian mindframe. Sitting in the UK (or elsewhere for that matter) one
doesn't get the reality of the picture, or understand where the need for
these fish originates.

This is not meant as an insult, please do not take it that way. Just
consider though, the following:

Note that this does not occur in western countries, only in Asia. Now wonder
why. Also wonder why it occurs in Hong Kong, one of the most developed Asian
nations. Then think about whether the demand is based on the ability of the
everyday consumer, or a select few. The wonder if that select few care.
Don't be remotely surprised that most of them know exactly how much more
valuable that fish would be to the fish population rather than the human one
(many of them descend from generations of fisherman and have only recently
made it big financially).  Your public awareness campaign may reach the
everyday consumer, but these are not the origins of the demand for the big
berthas.  To target the rich, you have to offer them an alternative that
will still allow them to 'save-face' and still act rich. This is Asia.
Welcome to a new mindset.  The need to entertain guests and provide them
with a large live fish is cemented now as an important tradition - modern it
may be, but it's there and we have to live with it.  These people don't eat
this at home. Ever!  It is only to show off politely that it is done.  These
are aspects to consider when tackling this issue.

Hope the above will give you a new perspective.
Best regards,
Nick - an amateur
Nicolas J. Pilcher
Institute of Biodiversity and Environmental Conservation
Universiti Malaysia Sarawak
94300 Kota Samarahan
Sarawak, Malaysia
Tel ++ 60 82 671 000 Ext. 181