Arabian Gulf Bleaching

Prof Alan E Strong strong at nadn.navy.mil
Wed Oct 2 09:34:35 EDT 1996

Roger Uwate -
Saw your note 23 Sep on bleaching off Bahrain due to SSTs some 4 deg C
higher than last year during July-August.  We are developing new,
twice-weekly, hi-res SST anomaly charts to aid in the monitoring for areas
of high temperature stress that might lead to coral reef bleaching.

New Climatology/Anomaly:
	http://psbsgi1.nesdis.noaa.gov:8080/PSB/EPS/SST/climo.html

When we were spinning this new product up the end of July, as I now look
back, SSTs during much of Aug were several degrees above climatology in
the Arabian Sea.  Past data have shown that when SSTs exceed the max
monthly climatology by 1 deg C, bleaching can be expected....paper at
recent Panama ICRS...it looks like you saw evidence of that.

Thanks for your report.  Hope the reef have recovered with cooling temps
this fall.

Cheers,
Al Strong

                                Alan E. Strong
Physical Scientist/Oceanographer                 Adj. Asst. Professor
  NOAA/NESDIS/ORA/ORAD -- E/RA3                    US Naval Academy
  NOAA Science Center -- RM 711                    Oceanography Department
  Camp Springs, MD  20233                          Annapolis, MD  21402
	301-763-8102                                    410-293-6566 [v-mail]
	astrong at nesdis.noaa.gov                         strong at nadn.navy.mil
	FAX: 301-763-8020                               FAX: 410-293-2137
     http://www.nadn.navy.mil/Oceanography/FACULTY/AES_resume.html