Expeditions in Borneo

Dr. Steve Oakley soakley at tualang.unimas.my
Fri Oct 25 00:23:35 EDT 1996

       Attn Coral reef or Tropical Marine ecosytem researchers

        We are organising 5 one month expeditions during the next 2 years to
remote unstudied tropical marine ecosystems off the island of Borneo.  These
include soft bottoms, coral reefs & mangrove swamps.   We should be able to
provide the resources for most suitable research topics in taxonomy,
ecology, biology, behaviour, resources etc.   If you can provide funds for
yourself  (flights & food mostly),  we would be interested in hearing from you.

BODGAYA ISLANDS

6 th April - 9th May 1997  Bodgaya Islands  Offshore from Semporna
reefs & islands mostly on the continental shelf,   Various ecosystems mostly
reefs.
Includes Sipadan (National park)  and Mabul which are dive resorts as well
as other reefs and islands which are outside the national park.

KUDAT BAY

1st - 30th June 1997 Extreme NE of Borneo. sediment and dynamite impacted
reefs?  Complete range of ecosystems from muddy shores, mangrove, & seagrass
to coral reefs.  Likely to include extensive seagrass beds and hopefully
dugongs.

LAYANG  LAYANG ATOLL

16th Aug. - 19th Sept.  Layang Layang atoll in Spratley islands, 320km Nw of
Kota Kinabalu, Dive resort
This is an untouched, pristine, oceanic atoll, visibility of up to 70m.

More details on the web page
http://www.unimas.my/%7Enick/

Dr. Steve Oakley,  Institute of Biodiversity & Environmental Conservation
Universiti Malaysia Sarawak, 94300 Kota Samarahan, Sarawak, Malaysia
soakley at tualang.unimas.my  Fax  082 672275  Tel 082 671000 x 260