Waterproof Paper

Shane Paterson cuda at arches.uga.edu
Thu Apr 3 23:03:00 EST 1997

On Thu, 3 Apr 1997, Michael Black wrote:

> I recommend not using paper at all. I've found that there is no such thing
> as water-proof paper. When we survey reefs, we use PVC plastic slates.

<snip>

I use that Nalgene waterproof paper but find it too difficult to use with
SCUBA (so confine it to snorkeling) and the whole clipboard-paper mess is
very frustrating to use in current (sometimes even on a calm day).  Also,
mysterious black marks tend to appear on a piece of waterproof paper
flapping in an underwater breeze and sometimes the pencil marks are almost
impossible to read, as a result.

There's an "underwater pen" for sale at dive shops now, and they've
been marketing something that looks suspiciously like an "Etch-a-Sketch"
to divers for some time now, but I don't think I'll be switching from
"writing cuffs" any time soon.  Writing cuffs, like slates, are decidely
low-tech, consisting of a length of PVC tubing (sanded to make the
graphite stick) with surgical tubing holding the contraption to one's
forearm.  It's sort of like a tubular slate, but has the advantage of
being more streamlined and accessible, and offering more surface area than
most commerically-available slates.  When I first started using one (I
carried one with me on field trips for two years before really giving it
a chance) I hated it, but now I wouldn't be without one on a dive.

						Shane Paterson

						cuda at arches.uga.edu