For those interested in reef enhancement responses

lintel lintel at dhivehinet.net.mv
Tue Apr 29 11:50:16 EDT 1997

This is a summary of the information obtained in response to my inquiry
(original copied at end of message). It is a laundry list, in the order
that mail appeared in my directory. I am surprised that the search turned
up so little by way of evaluative information and invite further response
along these lines.

Sincerely, William Allison (Bill)

That electrical reef enhancement began with Wolf Hilbertz working in St
Croix 20 years ago who later worked at Discovery Bay and then with Tom
Goreau in Negril. Apparently, in addition to accretion of CaCO3 on wire
mesh, the growth of coral recruits, or individuals attached to the
frames, is enhanced by the electric potential.

Goreau in the Caribbean, and the French and Germans in the Gulf of Aqaba.

The people involved are, I believe Wolf Hilbertz (Germany) and Tom Goreau
(Jamaica).

The SCORE concept (undefined but I assume this is the technique) was
presented on the BOOT exhibition in Duesseldorf as our participation
within the activities of the IYOR. The reply was broadcast so I assume
the reader has it all).

Randy Edwards at Mote Marine Lab in Sarasota, Florida, tried the
electrical technique that you mentioned.  You can reach him at
redwards at mote.org.

Paper has very recently been publised in Marine Ecology Progress Series.
It's titled: New coral transplantation technology-options for reef
rehabilitation by P. van Treek and H. Schumacher. I don't know the exact
issue and I don't have meps, so good luck.

I think it is Thomas Goreau and associates, but I do not have his
address.

Be careful: at least 20 years ago when those electrical precipitation
experiments were being done in St. Croix, what was initially being
precipitated was not just calcium carbonate but rather a mixture of
aragonite and brucite (Mg(OH)2) because the pH was being raised locally
in the vicinity of the mesh.