coral degradation and shrimp farming

Miriam Huitric miriam at system.ecology.su.se
Thu Aug 28 14:45:01 EDT 1997

I am interested in knowing if there has been any research done
linking coral degradation and shrimp farming (in the mangroves and other
coastal areas). I have found a great deal regarding nutrient effects
and eutrophication, and sedimentation effects on corals but nothing
regarding the outputs from shrimp farming.
The outputs are nutrient-rich, so I suppose the nutrient and
sedimentation effects must occur, however supposing/assuming is not
scientifically acceptable. The effluents also contain pesticides,
piscicides, herbicides, antibiotics and a whole myriad of other
chemicals whose presence is bound to have an effect on the corals,
however I need something concrete (in terms of evidence).
I would greatly appreciate any information and can be contacted
directly at:
miriam at systems.ecology.su.se

Thank you.