More on reef area

Bob Buddemeier bob_buddemeier at msmail.kgs.ukans.edu
Sun Feb 16 16:05:01 EST 1997

Some comments on the reef area issue:

1.  From the standpoint of new data, project Reefbase and John McManus
(J.McManus at cgnet.com) are the obvious contacts.

2.  As part of her work on modeling reef area, Joanie Kleypas
(kleypas at ncar.ucar.edu) has reviewed the various reef area estimates -- there
are at least a half-dozen, ranging from 100,000 to 2-4,000,000 km2 (which
makes the Smith '78 value right about in the middle).

3.  Estimates of reef area will necessarily depend on scale, definition, and
desired application --- so,
     a.  All of the above numbers are probably right -- if you want the area
dominated by live coral and coralline alage it is somewhere in the low end of
the range, but if you want all reef-derived sedimentary structures and/or
communities containing some reef organisms, it's the higher extreme.
     b.  The Reefbase project is producing estimates that are arguably more
accurate and precise -- for the definitions and criteria they use.  That
won't make their numbers noticeably better for other purposes, although it
will probably improve the basis for other estimates.

4.  There is no one-size-fits-all "best" number --each researcher is going to
have to interpret the available data from the standpoint of his/her needs and
applications and justify an appropriate value.  What we can say is that
values for various definitions have been estimated with a probable accuracy
of better than an order of magnitude, but (my opinion here) getting below a
factor of 2-3 in the possible range is not very likely at the global scale.

This is the same conceptual problem as in previous questions about nutrient
tolerances, temperature thresholds etc. -- corals and reef communities are
both very heterogeneous classifications, so any generalizations have to be
accepted as fairly sloppy.

R. W. Buddemeier