US Reef Check Coordinator Needed

Gregor Hodgson rcgregor at usthk.ust.hk
Sun Feb 23 09:02:09 EST 1997

Reef Check has grown rapidly. Many of the recreational diver/marine
scientist teams are located in the southeastern US. As we approach the
summer, and more teams join in, it would be helpful if an existing
organization (NGO) or individuals would step forward to offer to help
coordinate the US teams in this project. Our European, Asian, and UK
coordinators are already running with the ball and having a lot of fun.

The majority of the work will be done by our website;

http://rcsg2.ust.hk/~cckcheng/reef/reef.html

however, we anticipate that we will need some help with:

1) Matching volunteer teams with marine scientists
2) Ensuring teams avoid choosing overlapping sites
3) Coordinating a training session.
4) Ensuring that the data are submitted in the proper format.

In return you will receive:

1) Potentially very good PR opportunity with local, regional and
international media
2) Excellent fund-raising opportunity associated with the PR
3) The satisfaction of having helped to lead a global survey that should
provide us for the first time, some indication of the shape of the
world's reefs.

A number of scientists in the Florida area have pledged to assist with
Reef Check coordination, however, scientists are not best placed to lead
the above work. Please contact me if you or your organization would like
to volunteer to help coordinate the US activities.

Thank you.

Gregor Hodgson, PhD
Institute for Environmental Studies, Research Centre
Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
Clearwater Bay, Kowloon, HONG KONG
e-mail: rcgregor at usthk.ust.hk
fax: (852) 2358-1582
tel: (852) 2358-8568