Benthic Ecology Meeting

Bob Steneck STENECK at maine.maine.edu
Thu Jan 16 10:42:55 EST 1997

                      25th Benthic Ecology Meeting

                Thursday 3 April to Sunday 6 April, 1997

                          Portland, Maine, USA

General Information

        The Benthic Ecology Meeting has grown to become one of the largest
annual meetings of marine ecologists in the world.  For our silver
anniversary this year we will return to our northern New England roots for
a meeting in Portland's Marriott Hotel.  In addition to the standard fare
of high quality scientific presentations, this year's meeting will include
keynote addresses by Paul Dayton and Jeff Levinton, a field trip to New
England's famous rocky intertidal shore, and social/poster sessions in the
evenings prior to dinner in Portland's Old Port district.  The hosts for
this year's meeting are the University of Maine, Bowdoin College, Bates
College, Maine Sea Grant, Bigelow Laboratory for Ocean Sciences, the
University of New Orleans, and the University of New England.

Registration and Abstract Submission

The cost of registration is US$80 for faculty, post-docs, and
professionals, and US$55 for undergraduate and graduate students.
Registration fees include a name badge, admission to all talks and
socials/poster sessions, a printed program and abstract book, and
refreshments at breakfast, coffee breaks, and socials.  Registration
is performed electronically, followed by mailing in a check to cover
fees (the address is on the registration form).

More information and registration materials can be obtained via a World
Wide Web browser (such as Netscape or Internet Explorer) over the WWW at:

                         http://benthic.sc.edu

If you have absolutely no access to a WWW browser, you may receive
registration materials via email by sending a message to:

                         forms at benthic.sc.edu

(but this will be more work for you and for us than using the WWW form).

        The deadline for early registration and the submission of abstracts
is March 3, 1997.  Presentation space is on a first-come, first-served
basis, so please submit your registration and abstracts by the deadline.
Abstracts must be validated by payment of the registration fee.  Late
registrants will not be guaranteed a copy of the abstracts.

        I hope to see lots of coral reef ecologists at this meeting!

Dr. Robert S. Steneck
Professor
School of Marine Sciences
University of Maine