purple Porites

Alice Fenner 110115.311 at compuserve.com
Wed Jul 9 12:40:47 EDT 1997

Coralist,
   I reported a purple Porites that may be the same as the message
indicated had been found in Belize; I reported them from Cozumel (Mexico),
Little Cayman, and Cayman Brac in the ref's below, as "Porites branneri".
One small specimen was deposited in the Smithsonian, another at Harvard
Comparative Zoology.  I had also seen them in the lagoon of Grand Cayman.
I told Paul Humann about the ones at Grand Cayman, and he photographed them
and put the photo in his book, Reef Coral Identification, as Porites
branneri.

Fenner, D.P. 1988.  Some leeward reefs and corals of Cozumel, Mexico.
Bull. Mar. Sci.  42: 133-144.
Fenner, D.P. 1993.  Some reefs and corals of Roatan (Honduras), Cayman
Brac, and Little Cayman.  Atoll Res. Bull. 388: 1-30.

-Doug Fenner
110115.311 at compuserve.com