reef protection measures

marinepark at bonairenet.com marinepark at bonairenet.com
Thu Oct 23 05:53:38 EDT 1997

I am currently compiling information on measures which can be
taken to protect coral reefs from harm - specifically from
sedimentation and nutrient enrichment - for inclusion in a
"guidelines" handbook. This handbook, which will include practical
conservation measures, will be available at cost
to any interested parties

I would be most grateful to hear from anyone who can help me with
the following:

1. Information/studies on  measures which can be taken to prevent
increase sedimentation rates as a result of land clearance, erosion
poor construction practices etc at construction sites within the
coastal zone

2.Information/studies on the type, cost etc of  small (package)
sewage treatment plants which can be installed at hotels  (up to 200
rooms) in the coastal zone with an indication of their effectiveness
and the most environmentally sound way of dealing with the effluent

3. Information on any organisations/web sites or similar which
might be able to supply me with such information

Many thanks

Kalli De Meyer
Manager. Bonaire Marine Park
tel/fax: 599-7-8444