Bleaching -- Reunion & Mauritius

astrong at nesdis.noaa.gov astrong at nesdis.noaa.gov
Wed Apr 15 09:44:46 EDT 1998

From: Michel PICHON <pichon at univ-perp.fr>
Subject: Bleaching

Just read your message re high temperature in the Maldive area.
I can report that , during the last 2 weeks of March, I observed
significant bleaching on the reef flats at La Reunion, Mascarene islands.
Genera most affected were Acropora, Galaxea and Pocillopora. According to
information obtained locally, bleaching is also evident on the reef slopes.
I do not have temperature reading, but obviously the SST were high. Also,
very heavy rainfall did occur in La Réunion for most of February.

Michel  PICHON
	Laboratoire de Biologie Marine et Malacologie
	E.P.H.E., Université de Perpignan 66860  PERPIGNAN Cedex. FRANCE
	Ph: 33 4 68 66 20 55   Fax: 33 4 68 50 36 86
	Email :  pichon at univ-perp.fr

Alan E. Strong
  Phys Scientist/Oceanographer                    Adj Assoc Res Professor
  NOAA/NESDIS/ORA/ORAD -- E/RA3                    US Naval Academy
  NOAA Science Center -- RM 711W                    Oceanography Department
  5200 Auth Road                                        Annapolis, MD 21402
  Camp Springs, MD 20746                              410-293-6550
        Alan.E.Strong at noaa.gov
  301-763-8102 x170    FAX: 301-763-8108
          http://manati.wwb.noaa.gov/orad