Coral Reef Protection Legislation Graduate Project

Christopher Hale chale at sargasso.bbsr.edu
Wed Aug 5 16:30:15 EDT 1998

Dear Sir or Madam:

I am current enrolled in a joint Juris Doctor/Master of Environmental
Management degree program at Duke Univeristy.

For my Masters Project, I am consulting with the Bermudian government and
the Bermuda Biological Station for Research in the hopes of putting
together a comprehensive coral reef protection legislative package.

Currently, it is legal to anchor on coral reefs in Bermuda.  A general
prohibition on reef anchoring will be proposed as well as a system of
moorings.

Additionally, there exists no provision in Bermudian law to allow for the
public recovery of damage to coral reefs resulting from ship groundings.

I know that you have had extensive experience with coral reefs. I hope that you may
be able answer the following questions or at least put me in contact with
individuals who could do so.

1.  Does your jurisdiction have a system of moorings for divers? How is
it codified? How much does it cost to operate?  Please outline some of the
technology used.

2.  In your opinion how much is a square meter of coral reef worth?

3.  Can restoration work? What are the various technological methods? How
much do they cost? Which work best? worst?

4.  Does your jurisdiction have a system for the recovery of damage to
reefs. Can you think of any other persons/resources that would be helpful in
determining the value of a coral reef for a government natural damage
resource recovery purposes?

5.  Can you cite any references that deal with both primary and/or secondary
damage to coral reefs that stem from anchor damage or ship groundings?

Forgive my ignorance if I have left out any obvious, yet important questions.

I will only be here in Bermuda for one more week.  Your timely
response to any or all of the questions is greatly appreciated.

I can be reached by phone at 441-297-1880 ext.625, by fax 441-297-8143,
and by electronic mail <<ch2777 at student.law.duke.edu>> or
<<chale at sargasso.bbsr.edu>>.  Thank you for your help.

Please feel free to forward this message to any potentially interested party.

Yours truly,
Christopher Hale