High Nutrients & Red Tide

DBaker dbaker at tm.net.my
Mon Jul 6 19:16:13 EDT 1998

Dear Coral-L,

As many List members have asked for any/all info that I recvd on this
issue, I have so posted this reply.

Don

        Re: Red Tide Syndrome
  Date:
        Mon, 6 Jul 1998 13:56:35 -0600
  From:
        "Paul Sammarco" <psammarco at lumcon.edu>
    To:
        dbaker at tm.net.my

Dear Don,

My reply follows:

>Can anyone point me to data/pubs about any aspects of red tide
>correlating with high nutrient coastal waters..and coral bleaching?

These are two issues which are documented separately.  See Slobodkin's
early work on Red Tides from the '50's and beyond.

Slobodkin, L.  1952. J. Mar. Res. 12a:  148-155.

Slobodin, L.  1989.  The null case of the paradox of the plankton.  In:
Novel Phytoplankton Blooms:  Causes and Impacts of Recurrent Brown Tides
and other Unusual Blooms, ed. by E.M. Cosper, V.M. Bricelj, and E.J.
Carpenter, Springer-Verlag, Berlin.

Slobodin, L.  1998.  Akira Okubo and the theory of blooms.  Oceanography
(in press).

With respect to the effects of nutrient increases on corals, see Bassim
(and Sammarco's) recent work.

Bassim, K.M.  1997.  Effects of temperature and ammonium on the early
developmental stagesof a scleractinian coral:  Implications for global
warming and nutrient enrichment.  M.Sc. thesis, Biology, University of
Southwestern Louisiana, Lafayette, LA, 51 p.

Bassim and Sammarco (2 ms.'s - one submitted, one in prep.).

>Is there any type of correlation?  High nutrient loads => weaker
>coral/zoxx relationship?

The bottom line here is - yes - there is a relationship - or so we
believe.
This is what our experiments suggest.

Best Wishes,

Paul W. Sammarco

Paul W. Sammarco, Ph.D.
Louisiana Universities Marine Consortium (LUMCON)
8124 Hwy. 56
Chauvin, LA  70344
USA

Tel:    (504) 851-2876