Caulerpa taxifolia

sobelj%dccmc at cenmarine.com sobelj%dccmc at cenmarine.com
Wed Jul 8 15:36:29 EDT 1998

The Caulerpa taxifolia introduction to the French Mediterranean was
featured in a U.S. National Public Radio piece yesterday and from that
piece it sounds like a very significant exotic species introducation
doing extensive damage.

The question was:

Dear All,

Does anyone know of any examples or papers which demonstrate an
introduction of exotic marine animals as a result of release to the near
by
sea or lake after keeping the exotic animal as a pet??

Many Thanks, David.

One of the answers is:

Dear David,

The closest I can get to an introduction of a marine organism used as a
pet
is the famous Caulerpa taxifolia released from an aquarium into the
waters
of southern France.

Meinesz, A. et al.  1993.  Spread of the introduced tropical green alga
Caulerpa taxifolia in northern Mediterranian waters. Journal of Applied
Phycology 5: 141-147

Could you post the replies you recieve on the coral list ?

Simon Wilson
OMAN

   David Zakai,
   Red Sea marine biologist                Department of Life Science
   Nature Reserves Authority of Israel     Bar-Ilan University
   Eilat district, P.O.Box 667             Ramat-Gan
   Israel, 88105                           Israel, 52100

   Ph:+972-7-6373988                       +972-7-6360117
   Fax:+972-7-6375047                      +972-7-6375329
   Home:+972-7-6330373
                  Email: zakaid at popeye.cc.biu.ac.il

Jack Sobel, Director
Ecosystem Protection
Center for Marine Conservation
Washington, DC  20036
(202)429-5609 or (202)857-5552
Fax: (202)872-0619
Email:  jsobel @cenmarine.com

"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant:
'What good is it?'.  If the land mechanismas a whol is good, then every
part is good, whether we understand it or not. If the biota, in the
course of eons, has built something we like, but do not understand, then
who but a fool would discard seemingly useless parts? To keep every cog
and wheel is the first precaution of intelligent tinkering."
Aldo Leopold, Round River, 1953.