Crown of Thorns over explosion

zakai david zakaid at popeye.cc.biu.ac.il
Thu Jun 25 11:40:14 EDT 1998

Dear Coral list members,

Last week I was diving at the southern Gulf of Aqaba at the Tomas and
Jackson reefs. I was very surprise to observed that the reefs where eaten
by the Crown of Thorns starfish. I counted 25 starfish in 2 dives of 45 min
each, at noon time (the starfish is active in night time). Usually its very
rare to meet this starfish in the Gulf of Aqaba so i think that we
experiencing a over explosion of this Crown of Thorns in our area.
It haven't reached Eilat yet but it may do so soon. Is anyone have
experience in controlling such a phenomenon? Are there any action needed to
be done before its will reach our area.

Thanks David.
   David Zakai,
   Red Sea marine biologist                Department of Life Science
   Nature Reserves Authority of Israel     Bar-Ilan University
   Eilat district, P.O.Box 667             Ramat-Gan
   Israel, 88105                           Israel, 52100

   Ph:+972-7-6373988                       +972-7-6360117
   Fax:+972-7-6375047                      +972-7-6375329
   Home:+972-7-6330373
                  Email: zakaid at popeye.cc.biu.ac.il