Reefs at Risk

Bob Steneck Steneck at maine.maine.edu
Sat Jun 27 13:52:13 EDT 1998

Dear Thaddeus,

  I've been interested to learn the results of the 1995 Keyswide Coral
Reef Expedition.  Your results spawned some questions that perhaps you
can answer.

1.  How can patterns of decline be determined from a single survey?  Do
you have a way of estimating the rate of coral mortality?

2.  Since percent cover of coral varies for many reasons (including
morphogenetic reasons) how do you sort out reefs that always have had low
cover from those that have declined to that level recently?

3.  Are you surprised at the low acroporid abundance at 20 m?  Most
geologists who find Acropora palmata in their cores assume they grew
between 10 m and the surface.  In St. Croix in 1973 we had about a 12 m
depth max for that species.  Are you sure it's absence at 20 m now
demonstrates "the powerful effects of region-wide disturbances such as
disease?" (Don't get me wrong, I believe Acroporids have succumbed to
disease throughout the region)

4.  Perhaps I don't understand your figure but wouldn't that pattern
develop if massive spawners are the dominant corals at depths of 20 m.
If that's so, wouldn't a similar figure be generated on just about every
reef in the Caribbean?  Excuse me if I misunderstood what you meant.

  Sincerely,

  Bob Steneck

Robert S. Steneck
Professor, School of Marine Sciences