Coral Reef Ecology Course: Akumal, Mexico

Daniel Shapiro Daniel_Shapiro at monterey.edu
Fri Mar 6 14:13:17 EST 1998

COURSE ANNOUNCEMENT: TROPICAL MARINE SCIENCE (Cornell University and
Shoals Marine Laboratory)

This summer we will take 12 students to Akumal, a small resort town
located on the Caribbean coast of Mexico's Yucatán Peninsula.  Students
will study basic coral reef ecology and conservation, learn to identify
local hard and soft coral species, collect data for the Akumal Coral
Reef Monitoring Project, and design and implement independent research
projects.  The course is designed for self-motivated undergraduate
students interested in learning about basic coral reef ecology,
conservation and research.

Dates: June 6th - August 2nd.

Credits: 12 Semester Credits (Cornell University)

Prerequisites: Recognized SCUBA certification, a medical examination,
one full year of college level biology, permission of instructor (Dr.
Dan Shapiro).

Deadline:  All applications received by March 27th will be considered.
After that, applications will be considered on a first-come,
first-serve basis until the course is filled.

For more information, see our web page at:

http://www.sml.cornell.edu/Shoals/courses/akumal.html

or contact either:

Shoals Marine Laboratory
Cornell University
G-14Y Stimson Hall
Ithaca, NY  14853-7101
email: shoals-lab at cornell.edu
phone: 607-255-3717
Web Site: http://www.sml.cornell.edu

or

Dr. Dan Shapiro (course instructor)
Institute for Earth Systems Science and Policy
California State University Monterey Bay
100 Campus Center
Seaside, CA  93955-8001
email: daniel_shapiro at monterey.edu
phone: 408-582-3090