artificial reef

Bruce Carlson carlson at soest.hawaii.edu
Wed Mar 25 22:34:44 EST 1998

Claudia,

We had some real problems with airplanes used as artificial reefs here in
Hawaii.

A major storm rolled through here a few years ago and ripped the planes to
shreds scattering pieces of metal over a wide area of reef.  The planes
were in fairly deep water (70' - 100' as I recall).

I would NOT recommend sinking planes as artificial reefs.

Bruce Carlson
Waikiki Aquarium