DNA degradation

Kathryn Kavanagh kava at bu.edu
Fri May 29 17:56:32 EDT 1998

I'm hoping someone can help me with a DNA problem, or refer me to someone
who might help:

We have been trying to isolate DNA from the pomacentrid fish _Acanthochromis
polyacanthus_.  Both frozen tissue and fin clips from live fish have
produced highly-degraded DNA, using a typical lysis/prot.K/phenol/chloroform
method of isolation.  The fin clip tissue was prepared immediately so there
was not much time for degradation.  Does anyone have any ideas about what
might be causing this problem?  Has anyone experienced a similar problem?
Any clues are greatly appreciated!!

Kathryn Kavanagh, Ph.D.
Research Associate	       email: kava at bu.edu
Department of Biology          office telephone:(617) 353-6992
Boston University              lab telephone: (617) 353-6965
5 Cummington St.               fax: (617) 353-6340
Boston, MA 02215
USA