Coral bleanching

Humberto jalvarez at kin.cieamer.conacyt.mx
Thu Oct 8 16:22:10 EDT 1998

Dear´Sirs. Two weeks ago as part of my doctoral dissertation I did some
sampling in the coral reef of Mahahual ,in the Mexican Caribbean close to
the city of Chetumal.The water temperature in this place wincreased from 82
to88 F (27.7 to31.1 C). While diving nears the crest of reef I noticed clear
pale corals. genus Mantastrea  , Porites and Agarica which looks as
bleaching. I have sampoles of those corals as well as color slides.Looks
like the first report of bleaching in Mexico.

                        Jose humberto Alvarez hernandez

                        Centro de Investigacion y Estudios Avanzados del I.P.N.
                        unidad Merida. Merida Yucatan, Mexico.
                        Carretera Antigua a Progreso Km. 6 C.P. 97310.