Indonesia coral reef monitoring position
cii at uninet.net.id
Mon Oct 12 23:31:07 EDT 1998
To: Members of the Coral List
From: Jonathan Simon, Chemonics International, Jakarta
Greetings from Indonesia. This email is to announce an opening for a
coral reef monitoring specialist, to work for 24 months in Indonesia.
First, let me quickly introduce myself. I'm Jonathan Simon, and I'm the
Asia Project Director for Chemonics International. Chemonics is a U.S.
development consulting firm that carries out projects in the
environmental and other sectors around the world. I lead our regional
office here in Indonesia.
Chemonics has been invited by the Indonesian government to submit a
proposal for the Coral Reef Rehabilitation and Management Project, a
three-year effort focusing on coral reef management and coral reef
monitoring systems & databases.
We are curently putting together our team and need a coral reef
monitoring specialist to work for 24 months over the three-year project
life. Tasks to be carried out include the following:
* Design and help institutionalize monitoring protocols for coral reef
and fishery resources.
* Estabilsh Coral Reef Information & Training Centers in several
* Advise procedures for coral & coastal data collection, mapping,
database management. * Provide hands-on training to local government &
community monitoring teams.
Required qualifications include:
* 7 years work in tropical marine evironments (preferably Indonesia & SE
* Familiarity with and ease in using GPS and recent information
* Ability to design and implement a coral reef monitoring program.
* Working knowledge of Bahasa Indonesia.
Assuming things stay relatively on schedule, we expect the project to
begin around March 1999. For those interested and qualified individuals,
please contact my office directly, and I will send a full Terms of
Reference and other relevant information. I can be reached at the
cii at uninet.net.id
Thank you for your attention. I look forward to hearing from some of
More information about the Coral-list-old