coral blasting

J. Charles Delbeek delbeek at hawaii.edu
Tue Sep 22 23:24:40 EDT 1998

As I said, unless offered alternatives, the resources come second to
survival. The examples you mentioned obviously hilight instances where
alternatives HAVE been found be they better management of resources,
alternative uses, sustainable yield programs, etc etc. Having contacts in
the aquarium industry as well as in organisations such as Ocean Voice
International, the International Marinelife Alliance, and Project
Seahorse, I have some insight to the cyanide fishing issues in the
Philippines and as well as the collection and devastation of seahorse
populations around the Pacific basin.

My comment concerned the message that it is easy to poohpooh people for
dynamiting or overfishing their resources from the comfort of ones living
room. Unless alternatives can be offered there is little incentive to
stop. As a Philippine fisherman once told a friend of mine who was giving
a lecture in a local village about reef ecology and the perils of
overfishing "When I come home with my stomach empty and my family waiting
for food, and I see a fish in the water ... what do you think I will do?
Will I think I need to leave that fish for the good of the reef or will I
catch it to feed my wife and children?"

I consider native peoples as the people in living in the area, so yes
Newfoundlanders are "native peoples" too :-)

I did not mean to imply that being a "native" was in any way a comment on
their environmental ethics. Please don't read between my lines.

J. Charles Delbeek M.Sc.

"The fact that my physiology differs from yours pleases me to no end."
Mr. Spock