coral bleaching

norbert schmidt norbert.schmidt at net4you.co.at
Tue Sep 29 14:54:54 EDT 1998

Dear members,
 for publications I need to know extent and geographical destribution of
bleached regions. Is the Red Sea effected ? Your cooperation is important
and most appreciated.
I was for two months in Maldives. As you will be aware more than 90% of
the archipelago´s corals are dead.Acroporae are gone completely with a
few exceptions,no recovering at all. Porites seem to do well and largely
get back to normal.As well anenemies are gaining colour again.
A personal note: I do not believe at all, this happened for the first
time to Maldives. When I started diving there end of 70ies, the reefs all
over looked very much same as now (=covered with algae), founding the
Maldive´s reputation as top fish- but poor coral-area.We thought
Acanthaster must have hit, but it looks now like an unrecognized
bleaching event.
Please infos on effected regions!
Thanking You
Norbert Schmidt