Coral Harvesting - Fiji.

EricHugo at aol.com EricHugo at aol.com
Fri Aug 6 09:24:06 EDT 1999

Hi, Bruce and all:

I found this post to be extremely interesting.  For the past five months, I
have been in communication with both Austin Bowden-Kirby (Fiji) and Andy
Bruckner and we have been comparing notes from various sources regarding the
numbers of corals coming out of Fiji.  It seems clear by general availability
in retail and wholesale outlets that Fiji corals have, for a couple years,
been a predominant source of scleractinia.  Although perhaps this is
"visually" deceptive, they seemed to far outpace in number and species
diversity those originating from Indonesia, esepecially for certain species
which have become far more available than, say, five years ago. Specifically,
species of Acropora, Montipora, Merulina, Pectinia, Heliopora, Millepora,
Pavona, Hydnophora,Lobophyllia, and many of the Fungiidae have become quite
more available.   Unfortunately, this does not seem to have happened in
substitution for the still overwhelmingly large number of the "old" standbys
of Goniopora, Euphyllia, Trachyphyllia and Catalaphyllia that still
predominantly originate out of Indonesia.  Rather, it has been "in addition
to" those other sources.

Perhaps more disturbing is the recent acceptance of shipment of live
scleractinia originating in the Philippines despite legislation in both
importing and exporting c ountries to prevent this trade. But that is another
story.

After reviewing many pertinent reports, especially those various TRAFFIC
reports, Bentley, Green, etc., it appears that numbers are still
significantly underreported.  One of the disturbing aspects in Fiji, for me
at least, is the Secretary-allowed exclusion of Tridacnid exports despite
legislation prohibiting this trade.  As you may know, there are quite a large
number of wild Tridacnids originating from this area to the marine aquarium
trade.  Furthermore, the relatively low amount of protected areas cannot be
helping relative rates of exploitation (or overexploitation as the case may
be).

I do have the numbers for the Fijian trade by species, disposition, and exact
number destined for the US over the past five years.  This includes marine
fish, invertebrates, corals, live rock, etc.  They are quite a bit higher,
apparently, than those provided by CITES sources and Fiji sources.  They also
contrast with sources that related the trade by weight (a very difficult
thing to analayze in terms of effect and number of organisms collected, as
estimates of coral weight must be made...some of which may be quite a bit
off, especially because of  differences in skeletal density and in the amount
of water present.   The numbers are further likely to be underreported
because of the inability of USF&W inspectors to examine the masssive numbers
of shipments.  Consequently, there will be many extra animals entering as the
well known "box stuffers."  These are typically animals which were "unwanted"
by most sources for some reason (unsuitability for captivity?) or were caught
in abundance during some period.

I hope that some of the discrepancies in number and type can be resolved
soon, and I will be submitting this work for publication in the future.
However, to give you an idea, there have been over 1,500,000 live Acropora
spp. from Fiji to the US over five years.  In 1994, there were 74,000
collected. In 1998, there were 274, 680 collected.  The trends for other
corals show similar increases. For live rock, 22, 625,666 pieces were
reported to enter the US.  In 1994, there were 295,568 pieces. In 1998, there
were 8,249,458 pieces.  This correlates well with what is apparent in retail
outlets as Fiji live rock is, to say the least, abundant and cheap.

I hope to be able to provide the rest of the trade data soon for Fiji and
other countries, some of which are most...shall we say, unusual, as they do
not have coral reefs and yet appear as countries of origin on manifests and
reports.  This will have to be resolved in light of the other reports already
out, as well as for simple clarification.

Eric Borneman