Hawaii --requesting identification help

Ursula Keuper-Bennett howzit at turtles.org
Fri Aug 6 15:28:59 EDT 1999

Hello Coral Researchers,

The other day we videotaped a Hawaiian turtle having a tastie.  It rifled through coral, snapped off pieces, fussed and flapped and finally plucked out its "reward".  Only we've never seen anything like it.

We're hoping a Hawaiian reef researcher may have come across this and knows what this is.  Here is a video freezeframe of the "food" in its entirety just before it was swallowed.

http://www.turtles.org/special/keokieat2.jpg

And.  This is a better quality closeup.  Rubbery, cream coloured to light gray with a harder darker almost black coating.  Grows in crevices on corals.

Looks like the kind of thing--if it showed up on your lungs in an Xray you'd be finalizing your will.

http://www.turtles.org/special/keokieat3.jpg

Thanks in advance.
              ^               Ursula Keuper-Bennett
             0 0              mailto: howzit at turtles.org
  /V     Turtle Trax    V\    http://www.turtles.org

"For most of the wild things on earth the future must
depend upon the conscience of mankind."

          \       /       --- Dr. Archie Carr
          /  \ /  \
       malama na honu