Copyright Concerns, Vieques Article

Oceanwatch at aol.com Oceanwatch at aol.com
Fri Dec 17 13:58:12 EST 1999

Coral Listers

A fellow Coral Lister raised copyright concerns about my posting of a New
York Times article on Vieques.  I am posting this with Jim Hendee's approval.

I was worried about having done something that might harm the List Serv
because I also value the service it provides, with Jim Hendee's hard work.
Oceanwatch has a copyright attorney on retainer so I asked him about the
issue.  First, he agrees that the safest approach is to provide a link, as
Jim suggests.

But the bottom line is, it's extremely doubtful the New York Times would
worry about copyright infringement in this case.

The first consideration is, was proper attribution to the source material
provided?  Yes, I gave full attribution.  Second, was the posting done for
commercial purposes or commercial gain, or for purely educational reasons?
The latter is true, since the purpose of the Coral List is purely information
exchange and I shared the article for that reason.

Finally, you have to consider the nature of the publication.  The NYT is a
widely available daily newspaper.  If I had copied material from a
professional journal that includes information on laboratory equipment or
scientific protocols, and the limited market happened to be coral reef
scientists, then doing so might take away several hundred potential customers
from the publisher.  But it was a newspaper item that as a matter of practice
gets copied into List Servs, clipping services, media books and interoffice
mail at major corporations by the hundreds or thousands of copies.

I don't mean to belittle the importance of the issue and I appreciate the
Coral Lister raising it.  I just think we need to keep it in perspective.

Thanks
Cliff McCreedy
Oceanwatch
2101 Wilson Boulevard